Image Map

Part 2: Are You Ready for the BEGINNING OF THE YEAR?


Raise your hand if you are ready to start your first week of school?  If you are not then by the time you leave this blog you will be! I plan to give you lots of great ideas to begin your first week of school that will include stories, get to know you activities, and lots of team building. 





Now that you have created a culture of openness and discussion it is time to build respect and positive relationships.  If you remember from my last post I discussed John Hattie's research on positive influences in the classroom.  Those influences help to make the most growth in your students. When looking at effect sizes you always want a 0.40 or greater to see the most growth. John Hattie's research shows that teacher-student relationships produce an effect size of 0.72. This shows me how important it is to build and encourage these relationships on the front end. Students decide within 2 weeks whether or not you are worth it. So make your impact now!


1. Friendship:

I start my friendship lesson by discussing what friendship means, looks like, feels like, sounds like by using a chart like this.

Next, I read Enemy Pie by Derek Munson and discuss the importance of friendship. After I have read this story we add more information we learned about friendship to the anchor chart.
Here is a link for an 
online version
from Storyline


Then, I head to one of my favorite websites that has great lessons and activities to work on character education, The Ned Show. This is a great website to use at the beginning of the year. They have compiled lessons, stories, and videos to help teach 8 different topics ranging from growth mindset to preventing bullying for all elementary ages.  



The Building Relationship topic has 6 lesson plans that help to encourage and engage students in building relationships. One of my favorite activities is friendship soup.  There are several different ways you can do this activity. I first have the children come up with their own ingredients they would need and the recipe for a great friendship.  Next, they create a friendship soup, salad, or pie. 







Version 1: Friendship Fruit Salad


For this version, I found the symbolic meaning of several different fruits that would represent friendship.  This version is a great way to bring in Science as well. You can begin a unit on physical science about mixtures and solutions. 

Version 2: Less messy Friendship Soup

The 2nd version I used items I had around my classroom like below. This is also a great activity to learn about mixtures in Science and what tools are needed to separate a mixture. Possible questions to ask during the activity: 
How could we separate these items? 
What categories would we place these objects in? 
Love being able to combine 2 subjects into one lesson! 






Version 3: No Mess Friendship Pie

If you are not a fan of all the mess then this is the version for you. A Year of Many Firsts has this super cute activity. All the templates are provided on her website for the craft. 




Finally, we end our day by completing a venn-diagram displaying how they are alike and different from their friends. I display the word diversity and discuss the meaning. I then relate it back to friendship and what it means to be a great friend referring back to our anchor chart from the morning. I next read Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun by Maria Dismondy. 
Here is a link for an 
online version
from youtube.
Third Grade Thinkers has a great venn-diagram activity that I use to close this lesson. I love how she uses candy to match up the classmates. Read the link above to get all the directions and the link to this activity. I have done this on paper like below or I have stapled paper plates together to make a venn-diagram and then die cut out circles using skin color construction paper. The students then create their own faces and hair and glue to the top of the paper plates. 


                      

         
2. More Stories on Friendship


Here is a link for an
online version
from Storyline


Your students will love these stories about amazing friendships in the animal world. 

Here is a link for an
online version on youtube.
Here is a link for an
online version on youtube.


To end your day on friendship establish a final list of what makes a great friend. Post it in your room to remind your students how important it is to have great friends.  





How do you promote friendship in your classroom? 

Please share in the comments section so we can create a platform to inspire each other.

Don't forget to hit follow!

 I will be posting through out the year how I teach Tennessee State Standards through engaging activities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment